Thursday 19 June 2014

The Fault In Our Stars a.k.a. How To Make A Beloved Book Into A Movie The 'Right' Way


The Fault In Our Stars is, without a doubt, the best transformation one of my favourite books has made from page to screen. 

I witnessed this incredible act of cinema on Monday at an unlimited Cineworld card screening and I left the cinema feeling both drained of all happiness and elated at the same time. Yes, this is possible. 

Anyone who has read the book or has been lucky enough, as I have, to see the film already, will understand why I was so upset. John Green's imagination concocted a beautifully heartbreaking tale in The Fault In Our Stars and I don't think I am alone when I say that anyone who does not shed a tear, or at least feel some form of sadness inside of them when watching/reading, cannot be human. It isn't filled with action or tension - qualities that I know many feel are crucial to a story - but the exquisite way that Green creates such an incredible relationship between the two main characters before his devastating ending is unmatched in anything I have read to date. 

However, the happiness I felt when returning home after the screening was due to the movie's perfect visualisation of this story. The cast and crew got everything right in this film, in my opinion. First of all, the casting was perfect. After watching the film, I don't think any other two actors could have done a better job of portraying Hazel Grace Lancaster, Augustus Waters and the poignant relationship between them. 

Secondly, the loyalty to the book. I don't think I'm exaggerating in saying that every favourite book of mine (I have many) that has been turned into a movie has disappointed me in some way, whether it be one scene or the entire production. For example, The Hunger Games - I read the trilogy in a matter of days, they really are the definition of "unputdownable". But, for me, the first movie - although it was still amazing and I was, overall, very happy with it - wasn't exactly right. There were quite a few things that were changed or taken out completely, things that I felt were prime parts of the book and should not have been touched. Furthermore, they tried too hard to make it a "family" movie by reducing the gore and violence, which are crucial to the story and its hard-hitting, shocking nature. Don't get me wrong, it was obviously still shocking - I think it would be impossible for the idea of children fighting to the death for the entertainment of adults not to be shocking. But there was definitely something missing. However, I do feel that in the second film, they increased the level of horror, which I was extremely happy about. Anyway, after that slight detour, my point is that there wasn't one thing about the The Fault In Our Stars movie that I felt was wrong. 

Finally, the music. Music is a very important part of any film or television programme for me. Especially when it comes to sad moments - the background music will either send shivers up my spine and push my brimming tears over the edge or ruin the moment for me. The music throughout the entire film was flawless, in my opinion, but the use of Birdy in the final scene really did top it all off. Birdy is one of my favourite musicians and the use of her voice in any film or television programme will always send my emotions over the edge.

Overall, The Fault In Our Stars has been one of my favourite books since I read it over a year ago but, as of Monday, it has also become one of my favourite films and I cannot wait to own it on DVD and watch it again and again...and again.

No comments:

Post a Comment