Friday 15 August 2014

100 Happy Days Day 35: Getting Paid To Write!


Only yesterday, I received an email through my university advertising a position as a freelance copywriter for a great website called Songkick. The website allows you to track your favourite music artists and venues so you can be notified about their upcoming concerts and click on one of the links provided to purchase tickets. Basically, the job is to write live reviews on the artists that don't already have them and earn a little money in return. If you read my blog often, you'll know that writing is my passion and it is how I wish to make a living when I leave university so, of course, I jumped right on this opportunity to get a taster for it and add some experience to my CV. In order to apply for the position, you were required to write a sample review of a minimum of 200 words, including information about the artist, their career and what it's like to see them live. I immediately wrote about one of my favourite bands, Boyce Avenue, and sent it away to be judged.

Today, I received an email informing me that they had enjoyed reading my sample review and, therefore, would like to bring me on board to write some more. I am to write as many reviews as possible on the artists from the list provided and at the end of the month will be payed £3.33 for every approved review. I've already looked at the list and this job is going to take a lot of research; I will have to watch countless YouTube videos of live performances as I haven't even heard of the majority of the artists on the list. However, I was happy to find that there are a few bands and musicians that are not very well-known but that I have loved for years. So I think we know which ones I shall be kicking things off with!

I understand that this won't seem like a major deal for most people reading this but for me, it's incredible. It's my very first time being paid to write anything and I think it's something that I will be good at and enjoy tremendously. I'm so grateful for the opportunity, no matter what comes of it.

If you haven't already, check out the Songkick website now!




8 comments:

  1. I thought about that as well but I'm hoping since it was circulated to all English Lit students at my uni that it is reliable. If not though, I'll be happy to have had the experience and have more writing up on the internet with my name next to it haha! But yes, I'll be sure to blog about it when all is done :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, this is great! Congratulations and I can imagine how excited you are about this.

    Reflection of Sanity

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is amazing! Congratulations! Getting paid to write music reviews? That's like the dream right there! Good luck to you and let us know how it goes.
    Have a great weekend!
    -Kelsie
    www.kelsiereynolds.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congratulations! Getting paid for reviewing music? Great :)Maybe follow each other on bloglovin? I always follow back :)
    http://mathildasbeautylife.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  5. Amazing opportunity! Good luck x

    ReplyDelete